Keep us, and your neighbors, in the know.
- News tips
- Community Events
- Become a blogger
- Submit a story
SHALLOTTE, NC (WECT) - A house in Shallotte caught fire Monday afternoon, bringing firefighters from several communities out to fight it.
As of 4:30 p.m. Monday, firefighters were still at the house on Country Club Drive putting out hot spots.
The Brunswick Co. Fire Marshal says a neighbor called 911 around 12:30 p.m. about smoke coming from the house. It took firefighters 30 minutes to get the fire under control.
According to the investigation report, the homeowner told fire officials he typically lights a fire in the morning in a fireplace inside the screened porch.
He told investigators that when he left Monday, the fireplace was secure, but that he rolled up a damaged rug and moved it away from the area. Fire investigators believe a hot ember, or ash, was still inside the rug that was rolled up by the homeowner, causing the fire to spark.
Investigators concluded that there is no reason to believe there was any intention to set the fire.
A final cause will be determined after reviewing the case with a special fire investigator with the homeowners insurance provider.
The owners were not home at the time, and officials say no one was hurt.
Copyright 2013 WECT. All rights reserved.