Keep us, and your neighbors, in the know.
- News tips
- Community Events
- Become a blogger
- Submit a story
During a retreat held today, the Brunswick County Board of Education approved the 2013-2014 budget. Most noted in the approval was a revision to the 2013-2014 supplement schedule which provides an increase for teachers, assistant principals, elementary, and middle school principals.
Also approved was a one-time $1000 bonus for employees.
According to Finance Officer Freyja Cahill, spending efficiencies are credited for the ability to provide this one time bonus for all full-time employees. Part-time employees will receive a pro-rated amount.
This local funding support adds up.
For a beginning teacher the bonus equates to a 3.2% pay increase. Combined with the revised supplement schedule rate of 7.7%, a beginning teacher in Brunswick County receives a 10.9% local supplement to the state's base salary.
The bonus combined with the supplement schedule equates to a 7% pay increase for an employee making $20,000 per year.
"The Board and I are delighted to provide a small but well deserved bonus to a very hardworking and dedicated group of employees," said Superintendent Edward Pruden. "The bonus in no way mitigates the need for significant and permanent increases to teacher salaries. North Carolina is $10,000 behind all border states. North Carolina's teacher salaries cannot sustain families."
Board of Education Chairman Charles Miller agrees, "We are losing outstanding teachers. If the one-time bonus and supplement schedule revision can help keep them in our classrooms, it is worth every penny."
Employees can expect the bonus in November.